Thursday, September 17, 2009

Missing Dad


Tonight I was going through pictures picking ones that I wanted to print and get framed. My process was sent in another direction when I came across a folder titled bobbum (in case you dont know that is what the kids and our family called my dad). There were many pics, some when he was ill and many from years back. Even though it has been almost 8 months I still find myself staring at pictures as hard as I can in attempt to force the reality that he is gone into my head. I go about life each day, I think I am doing well....then I question myself. Are you really doing Ok?? Do you cry enough? Do you think about him enough? Are you talking about him enough so the kids continue to remember him? Are you being there as much as your mom needs you? Would he be proud of me? How can I live in a way that honors him? How can I feel whole again? This process has no rules, no manual and it is damn hard. Today I just miss him. Simple without any complicated meaning. Just the deep down to my soul feeling of missing my dad, and wondering how my life would be if he was still here. I guess I just felt like putting some of my favorite pictures up would feel good.
What a day this was....Its weird looking back now how we tried to make things feel as normal as possible even though we were all in so much pain and absolutely terrified for our future.


Some of my best memories of my dad were our days on the water. I always used to beam with pride at how active my dad was. He always challenged me to keep up with him, and it wasn't easy. On these days he was truly happy and free.
Anyone who knew my dad would laugh at this picture. This was the face and demeanor he had when he was giddy and happy to be away with his family. When you could catch him in this mood it was so fun, he acted goofy and totally enjoyed himself an his loved ones.


My kids softened my dads heart in ways I never thought was possible. Watching them and him together was and will always be some of my most memorable moments. I feel the most angry when I think about him not being there to see them grow up. I can only pray that the things he taught them will forever be in their little hearts.


Accident prone daredevils is never the best combination! Either way I love that I will forever carry on my Dads enthusiasm for life and adventure.

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth and Eric Jones said...

very touching!

September 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

That was such a treat... thanks for being brave and posting something like that. Brings a smile and tears at the same time. He is missed every day by many and I also find myself having to drill it into my brain that he is really gone. What a wonderful man.

September 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger ENDub said...

I'm glad you know that it's ok to feel exactly how you do every day. He's missed by so many.

September 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Heaven's Eye Phtotography said...

I absolutely adore getting know his kind spirit through yours. This is such a beautiful post and I am so proud of the overwhelming growth that you have chosen over the last year. I know it's not easy and I'm sure that at times you just feel like you are doing what you can to get by...but you are an inspiration, and the joy inside you shines brighter than any kind of sorrow. Keep taking one moment at a time and keep sharing his beautiful spirit with all that will listen.

September 20, 2009 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Jan F said...

How nice to see these pictures of your dad. He was loved by many and is truly missed by many.

September 21, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home